Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Composite Materials

Definition

Composite materials are produced from the combination of two or more different compounds such as alloys, metals, glass, polymers and ceramic.

Uses




Composite Materials
Composition
Properties
Uses
Reinforcement Concrete
• Cement
• Gravel
• Sand
• Water
• Iron or Steel
∆ Strong
∆ High textile strength
∆ Cheap
- Construction materials
Superconductor
• Niobium
• Germanium
∆ Zero resistance
∆ Functions only under extremely low temperatures
- Transportation
-Telecommunications
- Astronomy industry
- Medical field
Fibre Glass
• Silica
• Sodium carbonate
• Calcium carbonate
∆ Good insulator of heat and electricity
- Protective apparel for astronauts and firefighters
Fibre Optics
• Glass
• Copper
• Aluminium
∆ Enables information to be transmitted in light form at light speed
- Electrical cables
- observe internal organs without surgery
Photochromic Glass
• Molten silica
• Silver cloride
∆ Dark in colour when exposed to light and bright when in the dark
- Optical lenses
- Glass windows
Ceramic Glass
• Produced by exposing glass that contains certain amounts of metal to ultraviolet rays and heating it at high temperatures

- Cooking materials
- Rocket heads
Plastic strengthened with glass fibres
• Plastic
• Glass
∆ Very strong
∆ Light
∆ Easily formed
∆ Withstands corrosion
- Helmets
- Body of cars and aeroplanes
- rods




Fibre Glass


Glass fibre is formed when thin strands of silica based or other formulation glass is extruded into fibres with small diameters suitable for textile processing.
Glass is unlike other polymers in that it has little crystalline structure and can be considered a substance frozen in its amorphous stage. The properties of the structure of glass in its softened stage are very much like its properties when spun into fibre.

Advantages of Photochromic Glass as Spectacles


The main advantage is that they will darken into a sunglass when exposed to U.V. light, thus obviating the need to carry a separate pair of sunglasses for protection against harmful U.V. rays from the sun.
Secondly, they provide a better visual health through UV protection than traditional prescription sunglasses.


References
-Longman Essential Chemistry SPM
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photochromic_lens
-http://www.eyewearcanada.com/eyeglasses/advantages-and-disadvantages-about-photochromic-sunglasses/
-http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/kitcar/kb.php?aid=106

9 comments:

  1. If possible, pls add related picture too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im always been fascinated on how composite materials is part of everyday life and yet only few of us know that. your article is interesting but as Sweet moi mentioned above, adding some "high quality" visual will make your post more concise and understandable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked as a part of the article. With a nice and interesting topics
    Do My Assignment

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you are with the chemistry subject then the composite material is common thing. https://www.domyphysicshomework.com/the-best-services-to-help-with-physics-homework-problems/professional-statistical-mechanics-homework-help-from-dedicated-team/ to meet our dedicated team who work on physics homework.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to work with the composite material for your chemistry class. click here now to write the personal statement with our help .

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the chemistry assignment there has a lot of composite materials . you can try this out out and get our help for your phd course side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog is well explained for the chemistry students. This materila really relate to particular subject and on this site i can see many comments which are appreciating your work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Writing SOP especially for MBA level could be difficult for students and they need professionals in writing SOP. This service http://www.statementofpurposemba.net/our-best-sop-for-mba-writing-service/ is quite hopeful for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dr Itua cures my HIV, I have been an ARV Consumption for 10 years. I have been in pain until I came across Dr Itua on a blog site. I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location I explained everything to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cure me, he gave me guarantee, He asks me to pay for items fees so when I'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua. I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days. Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work. My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and the rest of my friends did too, Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what I'm talking about if you have the same problem I was having then not now though. I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center. I have his calendar too that he recently sent me, He Cures all kind disease Like, Cancer,Weak Erection, Wart Remover,Hpv, Herpes,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease, Heart failure, Multiple Sclerosis, Hypertension,Fibromyalgia,Hiv, Hepatitis B, Liver/Kidney Inflammatory, Epilepsy,Blood Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Brain Cancer, Lung Cancer, Infertility,Parkinson's disease, Lung Cancer, Breast Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Blood Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Epilepsy disease, small-round-cell tumor Diabetes,Celiac disease, Ataxia, Arthritis, measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio, Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma, Asthma, Allergic diseases.Hiv/Aids,Herpe ,Copd, Glaucoma, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease, Enlarged prostate, Alzheimer disease,Dementia,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back. Here his Contact. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete